Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The last 24 hours from both sides.

Erin's Side-
Last night Josh left the hospital around 7:15 pm. My good friend Jamie got up here shortly after Josh left. We were able to visit for a while and meet the new night nurse (she was a nice one). I left peewee for the night around 8. I thought it was best for me to get a good nights rest. I went back to RMH and did some laundry and watched Law and Order SVU. It was a nice break from nurses and the sound of beeping. I got to meet some of the other families that checked into the house. I went to bed fairly early and slept till 6:30am. I got to the hospital around 7:45 am. The nurse (Kathy, another one we like) told me that Malachi had a good night. He did get really fussy and they had to give him a sedative. He was still in an abnormal heart beat pattern, but his heart rate was good. She also told me they had some concerns that he was aspirating while feeding. They had done an x-ray the day before and saw some fluid in his upper right lung. Dr. Hoffman (she is a peds icu cardio specialist and the one responsible for getting peewee through yesterday) decided that she didnt want to risk the chance of illness. She said they were going to do a swallow study and see what is going on while he feeds. She also said the outcome may not be what we want and may require a g-tube. I lost it. Malachi was doing so well! The nurse ended up putting in a NG tube (through his nose to his stomach) in. Again I lost it. He has been through so much and I thought he was finally comming to the end. I am not sure when the swallow study will be, but i will update everyone as soon as i find out. They rest of the day was pretty uneventful. His heart beat got back to normal for a few hours, but i think he recently came out of it. He is trying so hard! I GOT TO HOLD HIM!! The nurse said i could hold him, i was soooo happy! I cried, again. It has almost been a whole week, i missed looking into those brown eyes and having him look back at me. It was wonderful. I held him for about 1 1/2 hours. Josh will get to hold him tomorrow! The min. they laid him in my arms all the bad things over the last day was wipped away! I was reminded that it doesnt matter what he comes home with/on all that matters is that he is home! And for that I am thankful!

No comments: