Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Calling all mammas

I really, really, really need your help!! As many of you know, Malachi has issues with eating. Fist of all, he is a silent aspirator. This means any liquid that is not thickened travels into his lungs. Thus making him very sick. We have been thickening liquid for 1 1/2 years now. Im going to confess, my 2 year old is still eating baby food. I have tried things like puffs and he gags and chokes on them. I dont know what to do. Feeding time is no longer fun for me. Malachi wants to try other foods, but cant. Got any tips, advice or magic jew jew to help?

3 comments:

Kristin said...

We just took Max to a 'feeding evaluation' at a local outpatient therapy clinic. Maybe ask your PT/ST about one. They gave me some great tips without having to schedule weekly sessions! (sorry, no advice - Max does great with food, it was the liquids that were our issue)

Lacey said...

Oh I wish I did, Jax has always been tube fed. But I'm wanting toknow things for when Makayla comes along!

Anonymous said...

hello, new to your blog..we have 7 children..3 born under my heart, 3 in my heart and 1 on loan : ) 3 of the above have a little something extra special, DS : ) Our princess ana is 2 1/2 and gtube fed, but is now on stage 3 baby foods. she also aspirated liquids, our little guy on loan aspirates on liquids but does well with solids. i say all this to let you know that the thing i have found to help is oral therapy..i bought the z-vibe our therapist uses so i could do more therapy at home..thickened liquids, little bit more times throughout day instead of lots at a couple of times, positioning of course : ) and have you tried the honey bear? it helps because you can squeeze just a little into straw so he doesnt get too much...hope any of this helps...