Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

I'll take LOVE for $500 Pat

Im just going to say it...love is a choice we need to make daily. Gasp. I know, I know. You all are thinking Im nuts but I assure I am not. Let me dig a little deeper...

I love my husband and that doesn't change. I will never fall out of love with him, there is nothing he can to to make me love him less. Just like my children, I love them with all my hart and no matter how naughty they are, I still love them. Unconditional love is what I am speaking of. The kind of love that will always be there regardless of outside factors. But what about when my husband says something mean? I still love him deep down there is no challenge there, but there is a challenge when is comes to my response to harsh words. I call my response Everyday love. This is the love that takes works, lots and lots of work. This is the love that fades when a husband cheats or a child steals. This is the love that we choose.

Malachi was rotten today. No, seriously, the hair pulling, hitting and throwing toys is really getting to me. I wanted to throw all his toys out and stick him in a 6 hour time out today. Obviously I didn't because I CHOSE my reaction to be in Love rather than in anger. Was it difficult? Heck yes. Is it any easier when a friend isn't there when you need her? Or when a family member disapproves of your decisions?  Nope. We still love them, but often times we chose to respond with anger.

This hit me like a ton of bricks last night. My husband and I were at a wedding enjoying the fellowship of friends. It was time for the best man to give his toast, guess what it was about? Yes my friends, love. He said that Love is a decision we make every day. I don't agree. Loving my husband is not a decision but RESPONDING to my husband in Love is. I don't enjoy writing this because this is something I struggle with. Most days I chose to respond with attitude or short answers. It's a downfall of mine and something I have been praying about for a while now. Choosing to love goes beyond my husband, its a decision I have to make with my children, my friends and my family. Regardless of the situation, I need to respond with love. So tonight instead of writing a nasty post about some stuff that has been going on lately, I am choosing to respond with love and ask you all to pray for me.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

It's hard to choose a loving response sometimes, especially when we're tired or emotionally drained. And unfortunately, because we know the people who will love us unconditionally, we tend to take our frustrations out on them, rather than a stranger at the grocery store, or wherever. Praying for you.