Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

a new therapy

Have any of you out there heard of treadmill therapy? He is a link to a news article about it! http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2009/0102-baby_treadmill.htm I talked to our PT about it today and she said she was trained to do it with kiddos. I asked if we could start it with Malachi and she said yes! She also told me that another mom she used to work with has some sort of lift that allows the child to be lifted up (and the therapist can change the amount of weight the child has to bare) and held in position so that she can work on the walking motion. Well we get to use the lift! The mom said that she would donate it to someone who could use it, thats us! After we are done with it, we can pass it on to someone else who needs it! We can't wait!

Today we went to our first ever Gigi's playhouse open play! Gigi's playhouse is a organization that promots Down Syndrome awarness in the Chicagoland area (and I think they have 1 location in Iowa). They have all sorts of programs for children with Down syndrome and their families! We went to open play today, but they also have sign language classes, literacy programs and a friday night club for teens. Malachi and I met some amazing new people and we can't wait for fridships to grow. They even talked to me about starting a Gigi's playhouse by where we live! It's so great to meet people who have walked in my shoes (our shoes as parents of children with DS) who can give advice, tips and even encouragement! I look forward to getting more involved with Gigi's playhouse.

I can't believe that tomorrow is going to be July 1st! The summer is going by to quickly (and our pool is STILL not clean, its cloudy but at lead all the algee is dead!). We hope you all have a WONDERFUL 4th, stay safe and enjoy the weekend!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is awesome! I can't wait to check out the link. I hope he does amazing... of course he will! That is so cool that you were able to go Gigi's playhouse. I have heard of them before. Have a fabulous 4th!

Lacey said...

How great that you get to go to Gigi's playhouse. Have a great 4th.

Heather said...

Hi! I happened across your blog searching for "GiGi's Playhouse" - I write for the McHenry blog (mcgigis.blogspot.com) and I just wanted to say I'm so glad you made it to open play! I loved reading your blog this morning - I'm usually at OP at GiGi's so hopefully I'll have a chance to meet you and Malachi soon. =) Take care!